Can You See Plentiful Blessings?
Can you see plentiful blessings around you?
We moved into our new home the end of summer, when the mature oak trees provided wonderful shade. Many large trees in our neighborhood are beautiful as the branches reach over the street in a canopy.
As the season has changed, so have the trees. They have revealed their autumn splendor. Some branches are empty of leaves, while others remain full. Acorns have pelted our roof, especially after strong winds.
Each day the grass becomes covered with a blanket of leaves.
The other day Rick and I tackled the autumn ritual of raking the millions of leaves. It took both of us hours of continuous raking to clear the yard. My arms grew weary. This was the first time of many to come, as the next day more leaves had once again graced the landscape.
Each day leaves fall. Every single day they fill the yard. The raking will seem endless until the snow piles up.
Are the trees still blessings even when they create a lot of work?
I love how they change with the season. I enjoy shuffling my feet through the leaves, hearing the distinctive crunch of autumn.
The leaves also remind me of the abundances from God.
God’s plentiful blessings are greater than the number of leaves that fall.
In my devotions, I came across a list of plenties and abundances in the Bible. Consider this list as you count your blessings.
- Plenty of food: “You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the Lord you God who has worked wonders for you.”(Joel 2:26)
- God offers abounding love: “The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love” (Psalm 103:8)
- Plentiful pardon: “Return to the Lord and he will have mercy on him and to our God, for he will freely pardon.” (Isaiah 55:17)
- Plentiful peace: “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7)
- Plentiful redemption: “With the Lord there is unfailing love, and with Him is full redemption” (Psalm 130:7)
- Plentiful grace: “God is able to make grace abound to you so that in all things at all times having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- Plentiful resources: “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us” (Ephesians 3:20)
- Plenty for the future: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.” (2 Corinthians 2:9)
(from Moments with Majesty, Jack Hayford, pp.235-236. All verses are NIV)
Look around and see all that the Lord has given us.
What should be our response?
Even when problems pile up, God has given us more strength and provision for the day.
May God’s many blessings fill your heart with praise!