Ready for a Summer Escape?
Ready for a summer escape? The days are hotter and the air is humid. Ball games have been played and Vacation Bible School is over. The family vacation is either over or will occur in the next few weeks. It’s also time so sit on the porch with a glass of iced tea for a mini-summer escape.
The pace of summer is different with practices, camps, and swimming lessons. The days may not seem structured, but the calendar is full. No matter what the season, busyness consumes our lives.
Recently I attended a Women’s Leadership Summit with the purpose of providing spiritual refreshment. The few hours away in the middle of the week was a pleasant reprieve from the hectic schedule. Times of worship, prayer, conversation, and teaching were restorative. Most importantly, it made me slow down in the middle of a full week and recharge my spirit.
A summer escape doesn’t have to last for hours; just few minutes can recharge and refresh your spirit.
Here are some simple ways to refresh your spirit with a mini-summer escape:
- When you come to a red light, take a deep breath and roll your shoulders. This will help prevent tension from creeping up your neck.
After completing a task, take a mini-retreat for a few minutes–change your setting by going for a short walk or sitting outside for a break. Listen to the sounds of summer. This morning I heard at least six different kinds of birds while on my walk; it was a beautiful reminder of the symphony of life.
Get a cool drink, close your eyes, and allow yourself to daydream you’re at the beach or a mountain cabin. If you could, where would you go to relax?
Refresh your spirit with scripture. Here are some verses that you can write them on index cards, carry them with you, and read them while you are waiting.
Bible verses to refresh your spirit:
• “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
• “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.” Psalm 62:1
• “Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
• “Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat,he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” Mark 6:31
• Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
• “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble.But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
When you realize you need a break, be creative to do something that refreshes your spirit. Time in the Word and praise refresh the weary spirit.
A mini-summer escape doesn’t have to cost anything and will improve your attitude.