Do you need a refuge to rest your spirit in the storms of life?
The finch nest is secluded in a hanging fern near my back door. The mama stays on the eggs where I can’t see her. But when I open the door, she flies away to a nearby tree and watches me. She returns after I leave.
Her nest is a hiding place. It’s been a protection for the eggs throughout severe thunderstorms. The fern swung in the fierce wind but was intact in the midst of the storm.
When the storms of life batter us, we need a secure refuge where we are not afraid. The Lord promises to be a hiding place, a rock of refuge, a shelter in the storms. We can rest our fearful hearts in the refuge of God.
Whether you’ve had a tough day of problems or a major life changing crisis, seek shelter in the refuge of God.
8 verses to Rest in the Refuge of God:
- “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2
- “Let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.” Psalm 5:11
- “How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! Both high and low people find refuge in the shadow of your wings!” Psalm 36:7
- “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
- “But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.” Psalm 73:28
- “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.” Psalm 32:7
- “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:8
- “Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.” Psalm 16:1
One of my favorite worship songs is “You Are My Hiding Place” by Selah. As you watch and listen, may you know there is a hiding place for your soul near the heart of God.
How do you rest in the refuge of God? What does your refuge look like?