Generosity : Overflow of the Heart
Generosity is the theme of Arkansas Women Bloggers this month. Each Wednesday they host “Wordless Wednesday” where bloggers can submit photos to illustrate the word. Today I am honored to be featured there. Please check out Wordless Wednesday to see my photos depicting generosity. Here are my words on the topic.
The ultimate demonstrator of generosity is God. He loves with an everlasting, unending love. Even when we sin, God loves us and offers restoration to our souls. God is generous with His love. Click here to read about seven Bible verse of God’s love for you. He also demonstrates generosity to us through His provision, His protection, and His promises. All we have to do is receive these blessings with humble hearts.
Generosity is impossible apart from our love of God and of His people. But with such love, generosity not only is possible but inevitable. ~ John MacArthur
Generosity can flow through our lives to others in many ways.
Not only through giving money to charities, but through giving of our time and abilities to others.
Here are some simple ways to show generosity:
- Take time to listen. By giving your full attention to the person talking, value is communicated. Listening is challenging with all the distractions of the culture and social media, but it is a valuable skill that shows you care.
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19
- Smile often; this reflects a positive attitude. We pass many people during the day; some are the clerks at gas stations and grocery stores that would benefit from a cheerful smile. A smile communicates kindness to others.
A happy heart makes the face cheerful. Proverbs 15:13a
- Be kind. The world is in a hurry and harsh. Decide to show kindness everyday–to other drivers, people in line, and especially our families. When we get too pressured with busy schedules, small acts of kindness get squeezed out of our lives.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12
- Give something away. Unused items can easily be taken to places like The Salvation Army for others to use. Many churches sponsor thrift stores.
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done. Proverbs 19:17
- Donate to a food pantry. Buy some extra canned goods to share at a donation center. The need continues all throughout the year, not just during the holiday season.
…remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Acts 20:35
- Volunteer your time to help someone out. Ministries are often short of volunteers and can use more people. Time is a precious commodity; be willing to share some of yours.
Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. 1 timothy 6:18-19
Generosity goes beyond sharing money; it can be shown through a child giving a dandelion. Generosity comes from the overflow of the heart with a desire to share your resources with someone else.
How can you show generosity today?